Punta Gorda Chamber Guide 2022

Punta Gorda Chamber Guide 2022

2022 Members and Visitors Guide for the Punta Gorda Area

Issue link: http://www.epageflip.net/i/1440093

Contents of this Issue


Page 110 of 143

2022 Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce Members & Visitors Guide Page 111 INDIAN SPRING CEMETERY Indian Spring Cemetery, also called Indian Springs, was cre- ated in 1886 on land donated by James L. Sandlin (1858-1903), who settled on Alligator Creek in 1884. Additions were record- ed through 1975. The name 'Indian Spring' came from a small spring near the creek that was thought to have been used by native tribal dwellers. The 40-acre cemetery is the second known graveyard established in the Charlotte Harbor area and the first publicly-owned burial ground. Owned and main- tained by Charlotte County since 1948, it contains over 2,500 verified interments, some unmarked, dating back to 1889. 9500 Indian Spring Cemetery Road, Punta Gorda LT. CARL A. BAILEY CEMETERY Lt. Carl Bailey Cemetery has served this area's African- American community as a final resting place for over 120 years. The cemetery was called the Cleveland Cemetery, established in the 1880s on land owned by New York investor W. Irving Scott. Charlotte County assumed control in 1986. Interred here are many of the area's original African-American pioneers. In 1957, the cemetery was renamed in honor of well-known hometown son Carl Bailey. First Lt. Bailey served as a U.S. Air Force jet fighter pilot flying combat missions during the Korean War. Today the cemetery remains active with over 400 known interments and is still available as a final resting place. 1018 Scott Avenue, Punta Gorda MURDOCK Inspired by the completion of the Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad (CH&N) in 1907, land speculator John Milton Murdock (1867-1925) platted the village of Murdock in 1914. Located at the south- west intersection of US 41 (Tamiami Trail) and the CH&N, the area known as Murdock was once home to a hotel, general store, post office, CH&N loading dock, and a two-story railroad depot. In 1916, John Murdock abandoned the town of Murdock and moved to Jacksonville. Today "Murdock" refers to the intersection of Tamiami Trail and SR 776 and its surrounding area, including the present location of county municipal offices. 18500 Murdock Circle, Port Charlotte The gravesite of U.S. Air Force Lt. Carl A. Bailey, the cemetery's namesake. Sun file photo The Indian Spring Cemetery is the second oldest cemetery in Charlotte County. Continued on page 112

Articles in this issue

view archives of Punta Gorda Chamber Guide 2022 - Punta Gorda Chamber Guide 2022