64 | September/October 2017
The Market House was one of many
buildings destroyed by a devastating
1831 fire. A private organization was
formed to take over maintenance of the
The Market House. The Market House
Museum is located on the second floor
and features special monthly exhibits.
The Prince Charles Hotel was built between
1923 and 1925, and is a seven-story, Colonial
Revival style steel frame building sheathed
in brick and concrete. It features an Italian
Renaissance style palazzo. The original
section houses 125 rooms; a 60 room
addition was built in 1942.
The Market House was built in 1832, on
the site of the building that had housed
the state legislature from 1788 to 1793.
The ground floor was used as a market
space until 1907, and the upper level as
town hall until 1906.
Running from the Market House to
Haymount, downtown Fayetteville's
Hay Street has undergone dramatic
changes over the years. Many of the
buildings along Hay Street are listed
on the National Historic Register.