7 M2M best practices
for mobile providers
1. Realize that M2M is different from your core business and requires different
market skills. Build M2M as a separate business with different KPIs.
2. Make sure you have global connectivity with local sales. To compete in a
market such as fleet telematics asset tracking, your platform must operate
globally, but to grow the business, you must understand local requirements
3. Participate in industry standards. Cooperation between network operators is
key to growing the M2M market.
4. Be flexible about technologies such as operating systems as well as
management systems. Machines come in all shapes and sizes.
5. Think carefully about your pricing, taking into account costs to deliver as
well as perceived value. Some machines may output an unending stream of
data while others, such as medical devices, may be critical to life-or-death
decisions. Have your business and financial analysts work closely with the
people designing the M2M solution to get your pricing right for the market.
6. Grow in the vertical markets you know. While the M2M network and
platform are horizontal solutions, the applications are highly tailored to
specific vertical markets. If you've already built partnerships and developed
an expertise in a particular vertical market, look to grow within that market
to take advantage of your expertise and existing partnerships.
7. Be proactive about analytics. Make analytics part of your offering. Instead of
just billing for data from machines, demonstrate the value of finding insights
in the data from a fleet of machines.