Windows of Wayne


Goldsboro News-Argus - Windows of Wayne

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 12 of 59

13 Around Wayne County CHERRY HOSPITAL MUSEUM Originally opened in 1880 by the state for African Americans with mental illnesses, Cherry Hospital was renamed in 1959 for Governor R. Gregg Cherry. Patients worked its 3,500 acres of farmland until the 1970's. The museum depicts over a century of history with photographs, log books, and a variety of the hospital's authentic medical and farming equipment. 201 Stevens Mill Road, Goldsboro, NC 27530 | (919) 731-3417 DAVID JOHN AARON HISTORICAL MUSEUM 137 E. Main Street, Mount Olive, NC 28365 THE GOLDSBOROUGH BRIDGE BATTLEGROUND The battlefield is the site of the battle of Goldsborough Bridge, where on December 17, 1862, some 2,000 Confederate forces attempted to stop Union Gen. John Foster's 12,000 troops from destroying a vital railroad bridge. The bridge, located south of the city over the Neuse River, was a key position for both Union and Confederate forces. An informational kiosk provides visitors with a battlefield map and further information. Walking trails surround the cultivated field which Confederate troops crossed during their bloody counterattack against the Union rear guard. These trails take visitors to nine additional historical markers where specific events of the battle are detailed. Two sets of well- preserved earthworks may be viewed, as well as the site of the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad Bridge, the objective of the Union army. 303 Old Mount Olive Hwy., Goldsboro, NC 27530 | (866) 440-2245 GOVERNOR CHARLES B. AYCOCK BIRTHPLACE STATE HISTORIC SITE Living history demonstrations thrive on audience participation at the 1870's boyhood home of North Carolina's "Educational Governor." The site includes a visitors center, a mid-nineteenth century homestead, and an 1893 one-room schoolhouse. • Guided tours & living history demonstrations • Working farm • Farm animals • Picnic area & restrooms • Pets allowed outside only with leash; service animals permitted in building • Visitors Center • Gift shop/souvenirs available • Motorcoach parking 264 Governor Aycock Road, Fremont, NC 27830 | (919) 242-5581 MOUNT OLIVE HISTORIC DISTRICT Mount Olive was formed as a village before the Civil War and was occupied by Union soldiers in Foster's Raid on December 16, 1862. Incorporated in 1870, the town is home to the world famous Mount Olive Pickle Company and the North Carolina Pickle Festival. Mount Olive has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1999. SEVEN SPRINGS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH The "Church on the Hill," was built in 1874 and overlooks the village of Seven Springs. The hill saw Civil War occupation by Union soldiers during the Battle of Whitehall, in which Union and Confederate soldiers fought from opposite sides of the Neuse River. Hwy. 55, Seven Springs, NC 28578 WAYNE EXECUTIVE JETPORT The Wayne Executive Jetport provides an opportunity for other industries to visit the area and offers a convenient place for (industrial) executives to land. The airport has a 5,500 foot runway and all air activity is coordinated with Seymour Johnson Air Force Base. 240 Aviation Road, Pikeville, NC 27863 YEAGER FIELD/MOUNT OLIVE AIRPORT 227 Mount Olive Airport Road, Mount Olive, NC 28365 (919) 635-1471

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Windows of Wayne - 2018