Windows of Wayne


Goldsboro News-Argus - Windows of Wayne

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 11 of 59

12 The railroad had been surveyed by Matthew Goldsborough, a Maryland engineer, and when Goldsboro was formed it decided to adopt the name of the engineer. Goldsboro became a major railroad transportation hub when it became the junction of another railroad going to Morehead City from the Raleigh area. People living in Waynesborough began to move toward the new junction. Two hotels were built at the busy crossing. Finally in 1845, a vote was taken of Waynesborough residents, to move the county seat to Goldsboro Junction. The vote did not carry. In 1847 it was decided to take another vote. This time a picnic celebration was planned in connection with the vote. It was held behind what is now the Gertrude Weil house and the Solomon Weil house by an old well in an open field. Elaborate barbecue and chicken pie were prepared. In addition, it is rumored that ice was brought in from Wilmington to make the water in the well especially cool, and rumor has it that white lightning was added to the water. The vote passed to move the county seat to Goldsborough Junction. Most businesses and residents soon followed. Waynesborough died before the Civil War, and Goldsborough Junction became our very own community of Goldsboro. THE RAILROAD RUNS THROUGH IT by Emily Weil Most of the early towns in North Carolina were located because of water—water to drink and water for transportation. Hence the first three towns to be formed in North Carolina were Bath, Beaufort and New Bern. The history of Goldsboro begins with the old village of Waynesborough, which was located on the Neuse River, then a navigable waterway. This village came to life in 1782 after Lord Cornwallis came through what is now Wayne County. First, a courthouse was built in Waynesborough to serve the area, and the land around it was divided into 100 lots, which were offered for sale. Waynesborough thrived for a number of years, and was a stop on the riverboats traveling the Neuse. It was incorporated in 1787 with 150 residents. Goldsboro was born as a stop on the newly constructed Wilmington to Weldon Railroad then the longest railroad in the world. The Wilmington and Weldon Railroad crossed the county and passed about a mile and a half east of Waynesborough. Goldsborough Junction became an important stop, because a stagecoach line crossed the railroad at that spot. The crossing was at the present corner of Center and Walnut Streets downtown. History NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES • Charles B. Aycock Birthplace State Historic Site (Fremont vicinity) 02/26/70 • Barnes-Hooks Farms (Fremont vicinity) 09/01/95 • Eureka United Methodist Church (Eureka) 08/26/82 • First Presbyterian Church (Christian Science Church, Goldsboro) 05/29/79 • L.D. Giddens and Son Jewelry Store (Goldsboro) 03/19/79 • Goldsboro Union Station (Goldsboro) 04/13/77 • Harry Fitzhugh Lee House (Goldsboro) 03/01/84 • Former Mount Olive High School (Mount Olive) 10/22/98 • Mount Olive Historic District (Mount Olive) 05/27/99 • Odd Fellows Lodge (Goldsboro) 08/03/78 • Perry-Cherry House (Mount Olive) 03/13/80 • Southerland-Burnette House (Mount Olive) 02/08/88 • Former United States Post Office (Mount Olive) 06/02/95 • Soloman and Henry Weil Houses (Goldsboro) 12/22/76

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Windows of Wayne - 2018