The North Carolina Mason

May/June 2016

North Carolina Mason

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 14 of 15

Tarboro masters' apron Our back pages Back in the 1990s, when Concord Lodge in Tarboro built their new lodge building, they had to clean out closets not looked in for years. Among the trash there were a batch of officer aprons, too interesting to just trash, but too rough to really fix up and show. Many lodges have this sort of detritus taking up space. What should you do with those things? Don't throw them away, at least ask Grand Lodge to take a look. At left, is Concord 58's long-time home in downtown Tarboro. Building maintenance concerns made them build a new lodge a bit further out of town. This master's apron is likely from about 1875. It was among several officer aprons discovered in the move. They now live in the archives of the Grand Lodge Museum. This one is hand painting on a leather apron with brocade fringing. We should always opt to save our history. The Grand Lodge can almost always offer a home for artifacts which may seem only trash. Call Jonathan Under- wood at (919) 787-2021. May/June 2016 The North Carolina Mason Page 15 From the Medical Committee From ASU's Scott Clinic My first patient today at Charles E. and Geneva S. Scott Scottish Rite Speech and Hearing Clinic is a four- year old boy who wears a translucent blue, behind-the-ear hearing aid with a camouflage swirl earmold and a super- hero button attached to the tubing. He is not shy about showing his hearing aid. He knows that he has a hearing loss and that he must compen- sate for that loss. He embraces his hear- ing aid willingly, unlike many in the adult population. Seventy-five percent of people who need hearing aids do not have them. Another disturbing statistic: the aver- age time from noticing a hearing issue until something is done is seven years. e audiologist at the Charles E. and Geneva S. Scott Scottish Rite Speech and Hearing Clinic at Ap- palachian State University is trying to change these statistics. e audiology clinic is open to anyone in the com- munity. If hearing aids are needed, they can be purchased here. In most cases, students doing their master's degree in Speech Language Pathology work with the audiologist. e hearing aids do not need to be translucent blue but can be small and unobtrusive. Free hearing testing is of- fered to all brothers of the Scottish Rite. Unfortunately, the hearing aids are not free. e results of testing are always explained and, if necessary, suggestions are made concerning remediation. e most common cause of hear- ing loss is exposure to excessive levels of noise without the benefit of hearing protection. Dr. Robin Morehouse is a Doctor of Audiology in the College of Health Sciences at Appalachian State University By Robin Morehouse The Grand Historian's Courier Case Founder's resting place restored By Steven A. Campbell MOUNT GILEAD — During the eight-year war for American inde- pendence, the leaders of North Caro- lina established numerous new coun- ties. Edmund Lilly, along with other property owners, led the way to create Montgomery County in 1779. Lilly, born in Virginia, prospered as a planter, miller, Freemason, court official, com- missioner for the first courthouse, and Baptist minister. He would wed twice (Sarah Dumas and Elizabeth Billings- ley), resulting in the birth of 12 children. As in all of our lives, time passed on, as did Edmund Lilly. He was laid to rest on his plantation (near present day Lilly's Bridge Road). Land parcels were divided and "progress" progressed along the Yadkin/Pee Dee River. Yet, what had become of Lilly's gravesite? Today, nestled between homes along Dogwood Lane, silently sits the Lilly Family Cemetery. Time had en- cased it, as with many old graveyards, in undergrowth, weeds, and deteriora- tion. However, Lilly had not been to- tally forgotten. e Yadkin River Patri- ots D.A.R. Chapter placed an etched marker upon Edmund's grave: Edmund Lilly 1728–1815 Revolutionary Patriot Baptist Preacher Planter Miller In recent years, members of Black- mer 127 in Mt. Gilead have undertak- en a project to clear and clean several cemeteries with Masonic bearing. e DeBerry, Wooley, and Lilly graveyards have been attended to several times. Upon the clearing of the Lilly site, it was noted how badly the grounds had deteriorated. us, on an early spring day of 2015, Brothers Riley Beaman, Shaun Brown, Randy Browning, Ste- ven Campbell, Stimpson McRae, Jeff Morris, Josh Peacock, Randy Poole, Ken Ringler, and Wayne Smith do- nated time, sweat, materials, and labor to not only restore, yet enhance this site which now beckons visitors seek- ing to learn more of the early history of Montgomery County. e cemetery is located on the property of Bro. Wayne Smith, in the 100 block of Dogwood Lane, Mt. Gilead. Visitors are welcome during daylight hours. ere is street parking and a walking path leading to the chain draped enclosure. Grand Historian Steven A. Campbell is a member of Blackmer 127.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of The North Carolina Mason - May/June 2016